JBL Punktol Plus 250 100ml
- For treatment of white spot and other ectoparasites
- For the treatment of parasites on freshwater and marine fish and the partial treatment of aquatic invertebrates
- In case of re-infestation: repeat dosing because of the pathogen’s life cycle. Pathogen detaches itself from fish after a few days and sinks to the bottom. Does not contain copper
- JBL Online Hospital: gives you access to identify fish diseases
- Contents: 1 pack Punktol Plus 250, 100 ml. Suitable for max. 2000 l aquarium water.
- In case of repeated use for max. 250 l aquarium water. Use: 5 ml/100 l aquarium water.
- Duration of treatment: for approx. 15 days every second day = 8 dosages
- About 90 % of all fish diseases can be put down to a weakening of the fish’s immune system.
- This means the application of remedies can fight the pathogen but doesn’t generally eliminate the cause. It is therefore very important to determine the cause.
- As soon as the first signs of disease become noticeable IMMEDIATE action is required.
- In most cases people wait too long. Example: as soon as the smallest “spot” becomes visible, treatment needs to start.
- Waiting too long leads to that one little spot (white spot disease) coming off the fish’s skin, falling to the bottom and, after a capsule formation, releasing 1000 new spot pathogens, which increase the likelihood of infection spreading to all the other aquarium inhabitants.
- This is a parasite from the group of the Ciliates, which can be killed off quickly and safely with JBL Punktol Plus 125 or JBL Punktol Plus 250. No medication can kill the parasite directly off the fish because the parasite is “protected” by the fish’s mucous membrane.
- This parasite has a life cycle notable for having several stages during which it cannot be killed.
- Only during a free floating "swarm out" phase is a successful elimination possible.
- We therefore recommend you raise the water temperature by 3 °C (do not raise the water temperature over 30 °C).
- This causes the life cycle to be accelerated, which in turn considerably improves the chances of catching the parasite in a vulnerable swarm out phase!
- Prior to use, any activated carbon needs to be removed from the filter, UV-C appliances and CO2 fertilisation should be switched off and, in salt water, skimmers and ozonisers are also to be switched off. 50 % of the water should be changed prior to application. The tank should be aerated with a diaphragm pump with an air stone during the treatment. JBL Punktol Plus should generally be added in the morning and the animals observed.
Can I use two different medications at the same time?
> Unless otherwise indicated in the instructions for use, the simultaneous use of two different medications is not possible and we strongly advise against it. Toxic cross reactions and undesirable side effects, such as oxygen deficiency or nitrite, cannot be ruled out. If your fish suffer from a primary infection and further secondary infections, always treat the primary infection or disease with the highest stress factor for the animal. Finish a treatment with the correct dosage in accordance with the instructions and then start the second medication. After the treatment or between two treatments, filter the aquarium water over activated carbon for 24 hours to remove any residual medication. The activated carbon need then to be disposed of properly. Any medical treatment is also a stress factor for your fish, so be careful not to overburden your animals and only treat them after a thorough diagnosis.
JBL Punktol Plus 125, 250 and 1500 colour the water very strongly.
This is correct, as the increased combination of active ingredients causes the water to change colour noticeably more.
Some discolouration of furnishings made of plastic, and transparent silicon adhesive seams may occur.
Can I use over-the-counter medications for ornamental fish in fish that will be used for human consumption later ?
> No. As a rule, over-the-counter medications for ornamental fish may not be used in fish that are bred for human consumption.
Both white spot disease and hole-in-head disease have erupted in the aquarium. Can I use simultaneous treatment with JBL Punktol ultra, Punktol Plus 125 or JBL Punktol Plus 250 and JBL Spirohexol 2 or JBL Spirohexol Plus 250? If so, what dosages should I use?
> Simultaneous use of JBL Punktol ultra, JBL Punktol Plus 125, JBL Punktol Plus 250 and JBL Spirohexol 2 or JBL Spirohexol Plus 250 is not advisable. Unpredictable cross-reactions may occur.
Which disease to treat first essentially depends on the severity and the rate at which the disease spreads.
In that case, it is advisable to contact a veterinarian with expertise in fish. Our Online Hospital has a link to the website of the German practicing veterinarians.
Please note that we are unable to provide information on the diagnosis of fish diseases by phone or email, as corresponding examinations are needed for a diagnosis.
Do I have to turn off the aquarium light when using JBL Punktol?
> The information given in some online forums that the light needs to be switched off during malachite green treatment is both correct and incorrect at the same time. Malachite green is converted into leucomalachite green, which has a weakened effect on Ichthyophthirius. This conversion is dependent on the pH value and takes place faster when the pH levels are higher than when they are low.
In addition, the filter bacteria have adapted to malachite green in the past decades, with the result that they decompose it faster today than they did in the past. This explains why the instructions for use involve multiple dosages at intervals of one or two days. If the infection is more severe, we recommend you use JBL Punktol (in the various forms) with full doses daily after a 50-60 % water change each time.
The white spots on the fish do not disappear after using JBL Punktol Ultra, JBL Punktol Ultra Forte, JBL Punktol Plus 125, JBL Punktol Plus 250, JBL Punktol Plus 1500?
> The treatment of white spot disease (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) takes anywhere from 10 to 14 days in a warm water tank, depending on the temperature.
The active ingredients do not attack the parasite present on the fish, but instead attack the so-called swarmer stage.
The parasite leaves the fish after a few days and passes into a so-called bottom stage where it multiplies and produces the swarmers that infect the fish again. The active ingredients act against these swarmers.
That is why it is important to carry out the treatment for a sufficiently long time (i.e. continue after all of the white spots on the fish have disappeared.