JBL ProAqua NO2 test kit (Measures Nitrite)
- Nitrite is a toxic nitrogen compound, which is formed when the bacterial balance is disturbed or when setting up a new aquarium. The test shows the exact nitrite content of the water
- Laboratory comparator system to compensate the inherent water colour: fill glass vials with sample water, add reagents to one vial, place vials in holder, read values off colour chart
- Use: when setting up a new freshwater aquarium: daily for 3 weeks. For initial setup with marine water: once a week. For use with fish diseases or fish deaths
- You will find detailed information and troubleshooting tips about water analysis on the JBL website in Essentials/Aquarium or Pond
- Package contents: 1 nitrite test for approx. 50 measurements, incl. 2 reagents, 2 glass vials with screw caps, syringe, comparator block and colour scale. Reagent refill separately available
Healthy aquarium/healthy pond with conditions close to nature
The right water values are dependent on the fish stock and the plants in the aquarium/pond. Even if the water looks clear it can be contaminated. With bad values diseases or algae can appear in the aquarium/pond. To maintain a healthy aquarium/pond with conditions close to nature it is important to check and adapt the water values regularly.
For each water analysis JBL provides water tests in the form of quick tests or colour change tests. These determine a certain value or several values in one go. With these water tests you can recognise algae problems and negative nitrate, nitrite, potassium, magnesium values etc.
Nitrite is produced when bacteria degrade protein and ammonium. It is normally processed further into non-toxic nitrate. In aquarium and pond water nitrite (NO2) should not be measurable. If nitrate is measurable, it is a sign that the bacterial degradation process has been disturbed. From a concentration of 0.4 mg/l onwards it is dangerous or even fatal for fish, because nitrite blocks the transport of oxygen in the blood. This can be remedied by water changes and good bacteria starters, such as JBL Denitrol and JBL BactoPond.
Recommended nitrite values:
Freshwater aquarium (community aquarium): 0-0.2 mg/l
Lake Malawi/Lake Tanganyika aquarium: 0-0.2 mg/l
Plant aquarium with few fish (aquascaping): 0-0.2 mg/l
Marine aquarium: 0-0.2 mg/l
Pond: 0-0.2 mg/l
You can analyse the water values you have measured in the JBL Online Laboratory free of charge and receive recommendations.